Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Holiday Illumination

Holidays can be stressful enough, but add caregiver woes to the mix and the result is heavier than any fruitcake I've ever used as a doorstop!

Last Christmas was mom's first in her new down-sized abode. She wanted to deck the halls, but between the smallness of her home and giving up a lot of decorations in the move, we had to negotiate the trimmings. For years, she and dad had put a 4-foot tree on a small table in their living room. The arrangement gave them the height of a larger tree, without taking up the floor space. With space now at an even higher premium, I suggested a small 2-foot tabletop tree with filament lighting. Mom seemed quite happy with the new tree. Once it was joined by a couple of poinsettias, a wreath, and a few other holiday touches, her home was comfortably festive.


She had just a few things in a storage building, including the 4-foot tree, which she wasn't ready to give up. I offered to store them in my own building, freeing her of that monthly fee, and all seemed well - until last week.


Mom called me, saying she wanted to visit a local home and garden store to buy a new tree for the front porch. Some of the other neighbors put large trees on their porches last year, where they could enjoy the lights from indoors, without taking up indoor space. The following conversation ensued:



Me: Well, Mom, before you go buy a tree, remember I have your old tree stored here.


Mom: That's right! But that one goes inside.


Me: But you don't have room inside.


Mom: Yes I do.


Me: We worked this out last year - remember? That's why we got the little tree.


Mom: Well, the one from the house isn't very big. We used to put it on a tabletop.


Me: Yes, but your ceilings are lower in the cottage, and the tree I have stored takes up more area.


Mom: It doesn't take up that much room. Why did I give it to you to store if I'm not going to use it?

Me: (wishing I knew the answer to that question because I wondered the same thing) Okay, then ... where would you put it?

Mom: Where Mickey's (the bird) cage is.


Me: And where will Mickey go?


Mom: In my bedroom, where the computer is.


Me: And where will the computer go?
Mom: I can put it on the floor.


Me: MOM - you barely have room to get around as it is now! You don't need to be tripping over things in the floor. There's no reason to go thru all this when you have an adorable little tree you got last year. Why do you want to go to all that trouble of moving things around?


Mom: I'm not asking you to do any of this.


Me: Well, you can't do it! You don't need to move Mickey's cage around, or the computer! Who else is going to do it? I don't MIND doing it, but I'm saying, you have enough issues with finding room for things without adding to the chaos.

At this point, she stopped arguing, only because she had already made her decision. A few days later, my son took mom to the home and garden store. Mom proudly announced to me that she bought a new tree for the front porch. She has been tinkering with putting it up herself, and I haven't fussed. It keeps her busy - like a two-year-old playing in the Tupperware cabinet. She's happy, it's not hurting anything, so I let her be.


Mom is a dear, sweet, intelligent woman, and I try to realize that she has limited control in her life. Her ailments control her, preventing the freedoms she used to enjoy. She took excellent care of my grandfather and father during their years of ailing health. She mourned my grandfather's passing, wondering if she could have done more (even Hospice was amazed by the high quality care my mother gave him!). Instead of being able to reclaim some time for herself, she was immediately hit with a series of illnesses. Too often, caregivers neglect their own health, wear themselves down, and fall ill.


As she and I continue our journey together, I will just have to remind myself that the battles aren't over Christmas trees, but instead, are her efforts at independence and survival.

6 comments:

  1. Trees and Tupperware, we do discover along the way what areas are needful to enforce rules on, and what can just be let go. Sometimes that discovery takes awhile and many stressful situations can occur during that time. I would say welcome to my world, but that would not be a proper statement. Like you, I am here to help others and help myself as well, as we journey on. Donna Webb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi--You're so insightful to understand the reason for the tug-of-wars, but that doesn't make it any easier! I'm so glad you started your blog because sharing your story will help so many. And, thanks for joining our blog party!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Denise and Donna! I am very excited about the blog party and to be sharing with others. Most importantly, it's good to have others to learn from, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely a balancing act - between keeping her safe physically and nurturing her emotionally. Sounds like you are doing a great job at it. :)

    Have a blessed Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your optimistic comment Kaye! I don't know that I am doing such a great job - but I just try to remember that I'm doing the best I can at any given moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your love and understanding is so very important, although it is very difficult at times.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter