Saturday, May 4, 2013

Angry Caregiver

As a caregiver, I do my best to find the lighter, funnier side of events. I don't want to be angry; anger is not good for the soul. Yet, bottling up the emotion isn't good either. As I sat in Mom's hospital room today, I was glad she is doing better.  However, I also found myself making a list in my head of things I am angry about.
She was alert and ready to go home though she is not medically ready to leave.  Of course, what the doctors say doesn't matter - she has her own opinion.  She wouldn't even be IN the hospital if someone had just given her a laxative.  The fact is, she doesn't even remember how sick she was.
So now, I get stuck restating why she can't have just anything she wants to eat; I tell her not to get up from the chair to move to the bed on her own; I remind her why she is in the hospital; I bear the brunt of her verbal abuse.
I love my mom, and she doesn't even realize that half of what she says to me is hurtful. She has a way of turning words into back-handed compliments. She is an expert in passive-aggressive phrasing. When I arrived, she had convinced herself that she probably would have gotten to go home today, but the doctor on call saw her instead of the admitting physician, and "He just didn't want to take responsibility for releasing me until the other doctor is back on duty."
If I don't respond, she prods until I do.  "Well,  that's right, isn't it?" I tried to keep it light and said, "No, I think there are a number of things to consider before letting you be discharged."  Her retort was basically, "You don't know- you weren't here."
So as I sat there, trying to avoid much discussion of anything, the list in my head continued to grow ...

  • I am angry because I have so much to do for work - two jobs actually - and am here instead.
  • I am angry because Mom will not listen - she's never listened.
  • I am angry because Mom was practically a chain smoker, subjected me to second hand smoke when growing up, and I am certain my own breathing has been affected.
  • I am angry because Mom now has COPD as a direct result of her smoking, but will still talk about how much she loved to smoke.
  • I am angry because my grown children come to me when they need something, but depending on them for help is not an option for me. 
  • I am angry because Mom will not ask for help from anyone else.
  • I am angry because Mom doesn't recognize what I do do for her, but points out any thing I don't get done.
  • I am angry because I go through this ordeal alone.

and ... most of all ...

  • I am angry at myself for being angry.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your anger. And you didn't add that someone (no names mentioned) called you to discuss their caregiver issues. Sometimes it is just a bitch being the wonderful caring awesome person you are!! I appreciate everything you do for everyone and am only a phone call away. I'm sending positive energy your way...and huge hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this, too, explains why I didn't call back. I needed to regroup. But I will call tomorrow! You are wonderful - and everyone needs that chance to vent and move on. I hope that my venting here allows others the opportunity to find their own valve for releasing.

      Delete

Site Meter