Thursday, May 2, 2013

Laughter: The Best Medicine


I am fortunate that most of the doctors that deal with Mom have a good sense of humor. Mom was taken to the hospital for what turned out to be a bowel obstruction. While waiting for the hospital to admit her, the nurses suggested I take a break for lunch. In the meantime, they would put an NG tube (through the nose, down the throat, into the stomach) in Mom in order to try to remove contents and gas. When I returned, the admitting physician came into the room and was asking about Mom's NG tubing, which was laying across her bed, not in her nose.  Mom, who had been given morphine, was a bit testy and admitted to taking out the tubing.
When we told her it was supposed to stay in, she retorted, "Well the nurse left me here, and I was hurting. I'm 80 years old, and I figured I didn't have to put up with hurting, so I didn't!  I took it out!" She's proud that she just had a birthday.
The doctor laughed heartily while I scolded Mom.
Give a woman a birthday and some good drugs, and she will go wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter